R&D Platforms are research groups formed by council members with shared goals. Under the lead of the organizer, they specify a research theme and establish intellectual property strategies and business models. Also, in order to increase the number of members in a platform, encourage collaboration among members, and form a Research Consortium, many platforms hold study group and seminars.
The five areas of industry
In order to clarify the direction of research and development in the council, form R&D Platforms, and encourage collaboration among platforms, the platforms have been classified into the following five areas of industry. In order to advance product and business creation, these classifications are based on industry rather than research.
The number of R&D Platforms
|Areas of industry
||Examples of activities
|(1) Smart Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries and Smart Food Chains
- Smart breeding technology using big data, AI, etc.
- Livestock-related improvements and sophistication of breeding management based on data
- Linking product and logistics data through the use of electronic tags and other technology
- Effective smart trapping technology for wildlife
|(2) Delicious and Healthy Food Development
- Development of nursing-care food and promotion of smart meals
- Services that use food to support health management
- Acquiring and collecting scientific evidence on maintaining and promoting health
|(3) Sustainable Agriculture, Forestry, Fisheries and Food Industries
- Development of cultivars and cultivation technology in response to climate change
- Automation and labor savings in food factories through the collaborative development of basic technology and systems
- Simplification and sophistication in inspections and examinations of agricultural irrigation facilities
- Establishment of a distributed energy system that uses local renewable energy
|(4) Promoting Export and International Collaboration regarding Agriculture, Forestry,Fishery, and Food Products/Technologies
- Development of new products to respond to needs overseas
- Overseas development and capturing overseas demand through the establishment of a global food value chain
- Research and development and technological cooperation related to agricultural production and food safety in developing countries
|(5) Biotechnology-based Business Creation
- Research and development of food technology for meat substitutes
- Risk-reduction measures based on whole-genome sequencing of antibiotics-resistant bacteria
- Biomass power and the use of its waste heat
- Promoting the use of by products and waste products from food processing
Notification form, etc.